About the role
As an iOS Software Development Engineer you'll be working in an agile team of industry leading engineers upon Tesco's customer facing iOS application. Working with Product Managers, you will be responsible for the future direction of the products that we build, solving problems and developing new features through quality, scalable, performant and maintainable technical solutions. The solutions that you will be responsible for will have a global reach, impacting millions of customers.
You'll be a passionate, pragmatic iOS Software Development Engineer with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and most importantly put our customer first. You'll enjoy working as part of a team and be a keen problem solver. Comfortable with modern engineering practices and mobile development tooling and technologies you'll use innovation to improve the customer experience and efficiency of engineering teams.
You will be responsible for
We love to work with smart people who have a strong sense of ownership and strong engineering mindset. You provide mobile perspective and context for technology choices. You're up to the challenge of device and mobile network limitations, device fragmentation, and other mobile development curve balls. You are motivated to tackle ambiguous situations with new technologies to rapidly produce prototypes. You outline paths from prototype to product. You are a technical leader for your team. You contribute to the professional development of colleagues, improving their technical knowledge and the engineering practices on your team.
- Be heavily involved with design and product teams to understand needs, propose features, create early prototypes and transform them into exciting end consumer features.
- Architect new end-to-end features that bring shopping innovations to mobile, TV and wearable audiences.
- Write clean, maintainable code and perform peer code-reviews.
- Deep-dive into client or server systems to optimize for performance, maintainability, scalability, extensibility as needed.
- Propose innovative tools, frameworks, automations and processes that are used by the entire mobile shopping team for development.
- Mentor team members to promote engineering excellence
You will need
We are looking for people who have a passion for Technology. You will likely have made open source contributions and have a Github account. You will demonstrate experience of different platforms and technologies. We expect to see some or all of the following:
- Experience architecting complex mobile applications
- 5+ years of commercial software development experience in Java and/or Swift/Objective C
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Firm understanding of software development principles, capabilities and limitations of mobile platforms
- Passion for mobile development. We would love to hear about apps you've developed.
- Understanding and exposure to integrating REST API endpoints
- Strong experience and understanding of industry standard mobile accessibility
- Experience in full development life cycle; design, coding, test, build, QA, deployment and maintenance
- Exposure to the DevOps model
- Experience in Lean and Agile environments and understanding of principles behind methodologies such as: BDD, ATDD and TDD
- A strong team player with the ability to influence and lead stakeholders when necessary
- Demonstrable ability to self-manage, be proactive, take ownership, build relationships and drive solutions through from inception to production
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop online, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world. We want our customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we're finding bigger and better ways to provide it. Here's how we're doing it:
- We are building systems to solve real world problems at scale, with impact for tens of millions of people
- There are great engineers (and managers and product people) to learn from
- We are agile and enlightened in our approach to building software and teams
- There's a great atmosphere and we work sustainably as a team
- Tesco has a "do the right thing" mentality
- We promote flexible working
If that sounds exciting, then we'd love to hear from you.
What's in it for you
- An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Buy As You Earn Scheme which allows you to buy Tesco shares and save tax after 3 months of service
- Save As You Earn Scheme which gives you the opportunity to save direct from your pay for three or five years with the option of using your savings to buy Tesco shares at a discounted price after 1 year of service
- Access to Tesco Learning and Development Academy, Safari Bookshttps://www.safaribooksonline.com and Pluralsight Technology Learning Platform https://www.pluralsight.com
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses
- Cycle to work and Car Share Schemes