|Recruiter:||UK Atomic Energy Authority|
|Listed on:||11th March|
|Salary/Rate:||£32,993 - £50,272|
|Salary Notes:||Plus Benefits|
|Contact Name:||Candidate Services|
Software Engineer (Robotics)
Software Engineer (Robotics)
Permanent Full Time
£32,993 - £50,272 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension scheme
9th April 2019
RACE (Remote Applications in Challenging Environments) is a business unit, based at Culham, within the UK Atomic Energy Authority specialising in remote handling and automated systems.
We have an excellent opportunity for a Software Engineer to develop software for robotic systems and human-robot interaction systems. €You will be responsible for supporting RACE projects with software engineering expertise, producing software for robotic remote handling and related systems and working on the design and execution of advanced research projects.
You will form part of a dynamic and highly motivated team of over 150 engineers, scientists and technicians devoted to building systems that perform tasks in some of the most extreme environments in the world.
Working with other enthusiastic and multi-talented control and software engineers, you will be responsible for:
-Writing and developing front and back end applications for use with robotic systems
-Acting as sole or primary interface to internal and external collaborators on project work or areas of specific expertise
-Specifying, designing and implementing graphical user interface software
-Performing business development activities including networking and supporting bids.
-Acting as key resource on projects of moderate scale and/or complexity.
-Supporting other engineers and managers with application issues.
At UKAEA we strive to make everyone feel welcome and fully supported. Our Ambassadors are actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the organisation to help make our Organisation an employer of choice. UKAEA has a graded career structure and our mentoring scheme will enable you to reach your true potential.
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UK`s MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading-edge technological excellence, whilst investing in its people.
For full details on the role, UKAEA and our benefits please download the application pack.
PLEASE NOTE THIS POSITION HAS BEEN EVALUATED ACROSS TWO LEVELS. THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE`S GRADE WILL BE DETERMINED AT INTERVIEW. APPLICATION PACKS FOR EACH ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW.
Knowledge skills and experience
- Bachelor`s degree in software engineering or a related subject
- Demonstrable experience working in software development
- Experience with C++ and other Object Orientated Languages
- Experience of design and practical implementation of Graphical User Interfaces
- A strong understanding of software engineering techniques and design principles including lifecycle, version control (Git, SVN etc..), documentation
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, and a proven ability to function as part of a team
- An excellent working knowledge of English
- Experience in Robotics / Machine Learning / Computer Vision / Automated Planning
- Experience working with embedded software or software interacting with mechanisms
- Experience of working in a related engineering field
- Knowledge of mathematical modelling and optimisation
- Familiarity with system modelling UML/SysML
- Web development experience
- General interest in mobile robotics and engineering
- Experience with computer graphics, VR, and AR
- Understanding of sensor fusion techniques
- International travel to customers` and collaborators` sites may be required
- On-call / shift work may occasionally be required
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance - The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
- As part of the selection process you may be expected to complete work based simulation exercises and a personality profile either online or onsite.
- Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
- Please note UKAEA do not pay travel expenses for interviews.
- The UK Atomic Energy Authority actively promotes equality and values diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role.
Applications are welcome from less experienced candidates seeking career development who fulfil the essential criteria for the role attracting a salary range of £32,993 - £37,069 (Level 4 inclusive of market premia payment) OR £44,959 - £50,272 (Level 5 inclusive of market premia payment).