Assistant IT Manager
The Wellcome Sanger Institute
£28000 - £31858
Wellcome Sanger Institute
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Advanced Courses & Scientific Conferences is seeking an experienced and enthusiastic Assistant IT Manager to support our expanding programme of UK, overseas and online courses. Part of Connecting Science at the Wellcome Genome Campus, we fund, develop and deliver over 60 training courses and conferences annually that span basic research, cutting-edge biomedicine and the application of genomics in healthcare.
Reporting to our IT Manager, you will support the set up and testing of computational teaching resources for each of our courses. Liaising with the course instructors and other stakeholders, including on-site Systems Administration Teams, you will identify software and other computational requirements as well as set up Windows Virtual Machines for each course.
You will provide support during the course to ensure smooth running of the teaching sessions. You will also support the delivery and development of computational resources for our overseas courses in Africa, Asia and Latin America, as well as our new programme of online courses. You will assist the IT Manager in the day-to-day maintenance and development of our IT training facilities and resources at the Genome Campus, including editing our WordPress website. Working as part of a busy team, you will have the experience and confidence to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment and deliver effective IT support across a busy programme. During the courses you will need to work flexible hours (weekends and evenings). Overseas travel to support our courses in Africa, Asia and Latin America will also be an option after a suitable period of training and evaluation.
* Computer Science degree or Life Sciences degree with extensive computational experience
* Familiarity with Windows 7 and 10 operating systems, preferably in the context of their configuration and use as virtual machine within Oracle VM VirtualBox
* Experience of installing, configuring and troubleshooting software in Windows
* Excellent communication and organisational skills
* Experience of working autonomously and with other IT support and service providers
* Close attention to detail and accuracy
* Flexible approach to work
* Experience of working in a busy academic environment- ideally within a training or systems administration team
* Knowledge of bioinformatics
* Familiarity with the Linux (Ubuntu) operating system
* Familiarity with hardware (PC) maintenance
* Experience of maintaining WordPress website
* Interest in overseas travel
* Interest/experience in managing multi-media or online content
Wellcome Genome Campus Connecting Science's mission is to enable everyone to explore genomic science and its impact on research, health and society. We connect researchers, health professionals and the wider public, creating opportunities and spaces to explore genomic science and its impact on people.
Connecting Science inspires new thinking, sparks conversation, supports learning and measures attitudes, drawing on the ground-breaking research taking place on the Wellcome Genome Campus. wellcomegenomecampus.org/connectingscience Wellcome Genome Campus Advanced Courses and Scientific Conferences funds, develops and delivers training and conferences that span basic research, cutting-edge biomedicine, and the application of genomics in healthcare. Working with internationally-renowned scientists and healthcare professionals, we run events at the Wellcome Genome Campus and in low- and middle-income countries that aim to educate, inspire, and transform careers.
Wellcome Genome Campus Advanced Courses and Scientific Conferencesis part of Connecting Science. wellcomegenomecampus.org/coursesandconferences Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Please include a CV and a Cover Letter.
Closing date for applications: 7th April 2019.