|Recruiter:||The Wellcome Sanger Institute|
|Listed on:||26th February|
|Salary/Rate:||£36,737 - £44,451|
|Contact Name:||Wellcome Sanger Institute|
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic Bioinformatics Support Engineer for the Pathogen Informatics team, which provides informatics support to members of the Parasites and Microbes programme.
You will be an excellent communicator and problem solver with a strong interest in biological data, and passionate about providing a high level of customer service. You will work within a team of seven software developers and bioinformaticians, and will act as frontline support for requests from members of the programme. You will be responsible for monitoring the helpdesk and responding to submitted user issues, managing and performing software installations, ensuring smooth running of data through automated analysis pipelines, performing submissions and updates to public data repositories, and where appropriate assigning requests and bug reports to other members of the team.
The team is based on the principles of agile development and strongly promotes open source software development using GitHub for all software projects. This is an excellent opportunity for you to work in a dynamic software development and support team with opportunities to gain significant experience in areas such as genome sequencing, advanced UNIX, Python and bash scripting, software version control, software development practices, and bioinformatics analysis. Moreover, it is an exciting opportunity to support world-leading research groups in understanding infectious diseases such as malaria, tuberculosis, and pneumonia, and thus contribute to improving global health.
* MSc in Bioinformatics or a related discipline
* Solid understanding of genomics
* Confident usage of the UNIX command line
* Demonstrable experience in at least one modern programming/scripting language
* Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
* Ability to manage the own workload effectively in a proactive manner
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills
* The ability to explain technical issues effectively and in an understandable manner to nontechnical users
* Attention to detail Ideal Skills * Experience with providing frontline technical support within a scientific environment
* Experience with submitting data to public repositories
* Experience with software package management systems and installation processes
* Experience with running software on a compute cluster
* Knowledge of new sequencing technology data
* Working experience in an agile team
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health.
We aim to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens. Our science is large-scale and organised into Programmes, led by our Faculty who conceive and deliver our science, and supported by our Scientific Operations teams responsible for all data production pipelines at the Institute.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity's greatest challenges.
Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
* Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
* Group Income Protection
* Private Health Insurance
* 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
* Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme, Campus Nursery and Summer holiday club
* Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
* Employee Discount Scheme * Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
* Active Campus Sports and Social Club
* Free Campus Bus Service Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Please include a covering letter and CV with your application.
Closing date for applications: 25th March 2019