||Newcastle upon Tyne
Oracle DBA (SC Cleared)
Summary of the role:
The database administrator will be responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance, and performance of critical systems to ensure the availability and consistent performance of our corporate applications within the agreed ITSLA.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the development and sustainment of the databases, ensuring operational readiness (security, health and performance), executing data loads, performing monitoring and support of both development and production support environments.
This is a highly technical role requiring solid technical skills, excellent written and interpersonal skills, and the ability to work effectively both independently and within a team environment. Shares knowledge/skills and developing productive working relationships, as well as being able to use own initiative. A flexible team player with a pro-active outlook to delivery and the rapidly changing working environment.
Training will be provided to the right candidate where some skills are not fully met.
* Manage databases through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission critical production systems through to decommissioning on both virtual and physical systems
* Configure and pro-actively maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
* Support development teams to ensure development and implementation support efforts meet integration and performance expectations.
* Independently analyse, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end to end.
* Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes.
* Assist developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement.
* Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours.
* Share domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and cross-training to other team members.
* Ensuring that system access and security are not compromised
* Ensuring that systems are maintained in line with the technical service roadmap and patching policy
Essential Knowledge, Criteria and Skills
* 5 years+ experience in database management and performance tuning and optimisation, using native monitoring, maintenance and troubleshooting tools, backup restores and recovery models on virtual machines and physical systems.
* An excellent working knowledge of Oracle Enterprise Linux operating systems running on Oracle 12c.
* Experience in building databases on a Linux virtual platform including database upgrade and regular patching and maintenance.
* Experience in the following Oracle technology stack:
* Database 12c
* RAC One Node
* Data Guard
* Grid Infrastructure
* Enterprise Manager
* Recovery Manager
* Exposure to Open Source databases such as MySQL or PostgreSQL
* UNIX/shell scripting
* Has undertaken and can demonstrate appropriate Oracle technical training for the role.
* Able to handle complex tasks, demonstrating skills in leading to resolution.
* Innovative and proactive planner with a strong proactive and collaborative approach to problem solving.
* Excellent written and verbal communication and the ability to communicate the right level of technical information based on the audience.
* Proactive, result oriented and resilient with an ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines and juggle multiple priorities
* Experience of being on-call on a 24x7 rota
* Understanding of Agile deliveries, collaborative tooling and techniques (Jira/Kanban).
* An understanding of ITIL processes.
Desirable Knowledge, Criteria and Skills
* Understanding of DevOps practices, continuous delivery tooling and automation (for example, Git, Ansible)
* BSc degree in Computer Science or equivalent
* Oracle Certified Professional or Master