Systems Software Developer - C++ and Python
||Roke Manor Research Ltd
||20th December 2018
||Roke Recruitment Team
We are looking to hire exceptional software developers familiar with C++ and with some experience of Python, able to pick up new frameworks, languages and technologies rapidly to work in a dynamic, state of the art environment.
We deliver advanced research, development services and products and are a vendor neutral supplier picking the most appropriate technologies to achieve the required performance and capabilities. We are seeking highly motivated and knowledgeable staff, although when you are working across ground-breaking projects within the fields of autonomy and AI, communications and connectivity, data analytics and cyber it is rare that you will have nothing new to learn.
Our teams are responsible for the entire software lifecycle, so you will need a deep understanding of Linux and be familiar with installation and deployment, and automating integration and test using tools such as Jenkins, Git and Ansible.
What will your role look like?
You would join forces and work within our outstanding software engineering teams to produce and demonstrate new capabilities to prestigious end users.
• Collaborating with colleagues and customers to deliver and present new capabilities
• Working with and applying Agile and DevOps methodologies and tools.
• Solution and component design.
• Unique development projects and associated testing.
• Technical consultancy across a number of challenging client problems.
• Business development support and contributing to high level bids.
• Technical training & knowledge transfer initiatives.
Training at Roke
We require fast and self-motivated learners but support and encourage our engineers to growing their skills. You will therefore have the opportunity to:
• Work alongside and learn from some of the best engineers in the industry
• Benefit from specialist face to face training & mentorship.
• Undertake high quality online training, covering development across both your technical and soft skills.
What do we expect from you?
• The capability and prior experience developing high quality code in C and C++.
• Exposure to additional languages such as Python, would certainly be beneficial to us.
• A validated base of knowledge relating to software engineering methodologies including behaviour and test driven development, continuous delivery and other Agile practices.
• You will possess proven software development expertise on Linux.
• You are comfortable working in a team, sharing knowledge and skills to collaboratively deliver software in an iterative way.
What additional skills would we find useful?
• Ability to understand, adapt and architect complex software systems
• Knowledge of additional frameworks and languages e.g. Ansible, Django, Docker, Go, Java, Node, Rust, Swift, Vue, React and/or Angular.
• Awareness and experience working with open source software
Where will you be based?
Your work will typically be located at Roke's state of the art sites in either Romsey or Gloucester, with some travel to customer sites and the possibility for you to work on secondment with a customer.
The benefits of working for us
We offer you a competitive salary and benefits package including:
• A generous relocation allowance to help you settle into the local area and your new role.
• A substantial performance related bonus scheme, which we accompany with a clearly defined and fair review process.
• Company funded private medical insurance, for you and your family, in addition to a contributory pension that will allow you to effectively save for the future.
• A whole host of flexible benefits to include childcare vouchers, travel insurance and dental care.
We are committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity, Diversity and Inclusion. Our working environment is friendly, innovative and inclusive. We can accommodate flexible working arrangements, and support a diverse work-force and those with additional needs.
We operate within a domain, in which we would benefit from you holding Developed Vetting (DV). This is something that if you do not already hold we are happy to provide you assistance in obtaining.
Due to the nature of this position, we require you to either hold or be eligible to achieve SC or DV clearance. As a result, you should be a British Citizen and have resided in the UK for the last 5 years for SC and 10 years for DV.