DevOps Engineer & Developer
||Roke Manor Research Ltd
||20th December 2018
||Romsey (With Travel Expected)
||Roke Recruitment Team
Roke delivers advanced research, development services and products and is a vendor neutral supplier picking the best technologies to achieve the required performance and capabilities. Roke staffs its projects with the most appropriate staff, although when at the cutting edge it’s rare to have nothing new to learn on a project.
This role is open to developers with front-end, back-end, full-stack, application, mobile or enterprise skillsets and opportunity exists to develop each and any of these based on your aspirations. We are therefore interested to speak to exceptional software developers who hold an active interest in DevOps technologies.
Here at Roke we deploy expert teams of developers to deliver novel software solutions. We deliver DevOps alongside software products and apply software engineering approaches and principles to delivering its infrastructure.
We operates in the fields of autonomy and AI, communications and connectivity, data analytics and cyber and familiarity with underpinning concepts in one or more of these areas is considered beneficial.
What will your role look like?
• You would face a breadth of challenges across business and technology domains allowing you to craft their future development infrastructure.
• Collaborating with colleagues and customers to deliver and present new capabilities
• Working with and applying Agile and DevOps methodologies and tools
• Solution and component design, development and testing
• Technical consultancy, business development and contributing to bids
Training at Roke
We require fast and self-motivated learners but support and encourage our engineers to growing their skills. You will therefore have the opportunity to:
• Work alongside and learn from some of the best engineers in the industry
• Benefit from specialist face to face training & mentorship.
• Undertake high quality online training, covering development across both your technical and soft skills.
What do we expect from you?
You will need the ability to develop software, with the business making a point of choosing the best fit languages and frameworks for each project.
DevOps skills across a wide variety of deliveries from embedded platforms to enterprise software would also be useful.
• Familiarity with several of the following (or similar technologies): Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Ansible, Vagrant, GitLab CI, Jenkins, vSphere, Virtualbox.
• Familiarity with software engineering best practice including behaviour and test-driven development, continuous delivery and other Agile practices
• Familiarity with Linux, including bash scripting
• Working knowledge of network protocols and configuration, including TCP/IP, VLANs and routing
What additional skills would be useful?
We also use many other technologies, including alternatives such as Puppet, Salt and Chef.
We work on a mixture of networks from internet connected internal setups to offline air-gapped networks and public clouds such as AWS and Azure.
• Ability to understand, adapt and architect complex software systems
• Knowledge of additional frameworks and languages
• Familiarity with open source software
• Some familiarity with Windows, including Powershell and package managers
Where will you be based?
Your work will typically be located at Roke's state of the art sites in either Romsey or Gloucester, with some travel to customer sites and the possibility for you to work on secondment with a customer.
The benefits of working for us
We offer you a competitive salary and benefits package including:
• A generous relocation allowance to help you settle into the local area and your new role.
• A substantial performance related bonus scheme, which we accompany with a clearly defined and fair review process.
• Company funded private medical insurance, for you and your family, in addition to a contributory pension that will allow you to effectively save for the future.
• A whole host of flexible benefits to include childcare vouchers, travel insurance and dental care.
Due to the nature of this position, we require you to either hold or be eligible to achieve SC or DV clearance. As a result, you should be a British Citizen and have resided in the UK for the last 5 years for SC and 10 years for DV.
We are committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity, Diversity and Inclusion. Our working environment is friendly, creative and inclusive. We can accommodate flexible working arrangements, and support a diverse work-force and those with additional needs.