Senior Software Developer - Human Genetics Informatics
The Wellcome Sanger Institute
16th December 2018
£40850 - £49428
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Salary range: £40,850 to £49,428pa plus great benefits
We are seeking a talented, motivated and experienced software developer to join the Human Genetics Informatics (HGI) team at the Wellcome Sanger Institute. HGI is a software focused team, responsible for the development and operation of scientific analysis workflows and tools for genetic data analysis. We also develop the infrastructure necessary to manage the efficient operation of those workflows.
This is an exciting opportunity for the successful candidate to be part of a dynamic team to deliver systems that produce analytical outputs for human genetics faculty research groups within the Sanger. Team members will be expected to produce quality code; to be able to work both independently and closely with colleagues to develop, debug, and optimize systems; and to be comfortable communicating directly with scientific researchers regarding requirements.
As part of the HGI team, the successful applicant would have access to Sanger's world-class computational resources, including an OpenStack private cloud environment, and many petabytes of high-speed distributed filesystems and object stores.
Recent graduates or current students in their final year are encouraged to apply, although it is highly desirable that any candidate has substantial development experience outside of coursework (e.g. active participation in open source projects or the pursuit of personal coding projects). A formal education or background in genetics is not required.
* Degree in Computer Science or in a related quantitative field (e.g. mathematics, physics, bioinformatics).
* Experience in developing software both independently and as part of a team (although not necessarily in a work context).
* Knowledge of core computer science concepts and practices.
* Comfortable with quickly learning and using programming languages that are best suited to a task.
* Experience with using source control (e.g. Git).
* Knowledge of Linux/POSIX based operating systems, libraries, and tools.
* Good communication and presentation skills.
* An interest in scientific research and an intellectual curiosity.
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health. We aim to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens.
With our state of the art facilities, our inclusive family friendly community ethos, the beautiful 125 acre Campus grounds, Wellcome Sanger Institute is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and excellent benefits including:
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
* Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
* Group Income Protection
* Private Health Insurance
* 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
* Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme and Campus Nursery
* Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
* Employee Discount Scheme
* Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
* Active Campus Sports and Social Club
* Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited is an Equal Opportunity employer. We will consider all applicants without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Please include a CV and a cover letter
Closing date: 15th January 2019