The Wellcome Sanger Institute
13th December 2018
£27388 - £49922
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Salary in the region of £27,388- £49,922 - dependent on skills and experience (grade 3 or 2), plus excellent benefits
Permanent/ Open Contract
We are looking for a talented and motivated front-end developer to join COSMIC, the Catalogue Of Somatic Mutations In Cancer (https://cancer.sanger.ac.uk/cosmic), a major international resource in cancer research, based at the Wellcome Sanger Institute (https://www.sanger.ac.uk).
We are beginning a large-scale redevelopment of our infrastructure and services and we're looking for a talented front-end developer to help design and build new web applications that will allow us to manage and visualise our complex data.
Working with the COSMIC web team and our UX lead, you will be at the heart of our development efforts in this fast-moving discipline. The tools you build will help ensure COSMIC remains a world-leading resource for scientists researching new approaches to understanding and treating cancer.
A revolution is underway in health informatics, with genetics increasingly important in understanding human health and disease. COSMIC, a database of genetic mutations in cancer, is used by over 3000 scientists every day across the informatics, diagnostic and pharmaceutical industries.
We are open to a range of flexible working options including part- or full-time employment, as well as flexible hours. This position is available at grade 2 or 3, dependent on relevant experience. This will be discussed during the interview process.
* In-depth experience/working knowledge of developing modern API-driven web applications
* Good team working and communication skills
* A passion for writing clear, concise, and well-tested code
* Interest in using CI/CD and TDD
* Experience/knowledge of working in an agile development environment
* Interest in applying UX methodologies
* Familiarity with version control software, preferably git
* Understand of building services with REST/GraphQL
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health. We aim to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens. Our science is large-scale and organised into Programmes, led by our Faculty who conceive and deliver our science, and supported by our Scientific Operations teams responsible for all data production pipelines at the Institute.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity's greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
* Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
* Group Income Protection
* Private Health Insurance
* 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
* Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme, Campus Nursery and Summer holiday club
* Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
* Employee Discount Scheme
* Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
* Active Campus Sports and Social Club
* Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Please include a covering letter and CV with your application. Closing date: 11th January 2019