DVLA - Software Engineer (Junior to Mid-Level Engineer)
7th December 2018
£24876 - £32367
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Software Engineer (Junior to Mid-Level Engineer)
Permanent positions based in Swansea OR Bristol - £24,876 - £32,367
Would you like the opportunity to contribute to the development and support of new DVLA IT services? If so, our Software Engineer role will provide the challenge you are looking for.
We are looking for Software Engineers to help build world class digital services where you'll be part of a team delivering both service excellence and agile change. You will be supporting the programme that migrates legacy technology onto new, cloud-based platforms that shape and deliver up to 50 projects of varying size, risk and complexity paving the way for the future business and service transformation.
2019 is going to be an exciting year in DVLA IT Services as we open new operations in Bristol and continue the major transformation of our legacy estate utilising an in-house developed and supported set of services. Our services will have the reach to every household in the UK, the size and scale would be the envy of any UK ecommerce service provider, so it will be a fabulous opportunity to make a difference for us and for you.
You will have the opportunity to:-
* Demonstrate knowledge of a technical specialism
* Analyse and resolve service delivery issues
* Work on your own initiative
* Follow and/or contribute to the development of documented processes
* Monitor technology performance and identify opportunities to improve it - continual improvement ethos
* Facilitate small and large changes - working alongside DVLA's Architecture community
* Develop and maintain good relationships with stakeholders across the business
* Develop own skills and actively coach and develop others
* Develop an understanding of DVLA's services
* Working collaboratively within a team structure supporting and learning from other team members mentoring junior developers (where applicable)
* Supporting the standardisation of documentation
Based on the level of the role you will be undertaking it will require: -
* Substantial to novice experience in application development using recognised programming languages with the drive and willingness to learn new languages and frameworks
* Experience in leading or supporting the design, development, testing, and quality assurance of bespoke applications throughout the lifecycle using recognised programming language
* Excellent analytical skills and with excellent written communication skills including reports, and technical specifications
* Ability to communicate effectively to customers at all levels of the business
* The ability to demonstrate the competencies to rapidly acquire the skills in another development language
* Experience in system support and continuous improvement
* Experience in object oriented programming languages and cloud technologies (for example Java, AWS and Unix technologies)
Interested? Apply here today!
DVLA will not discriminate on grounds of age, disability, gender, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, those with caring responsibilities, part time