Senior Software Developer - Human Cell Atlas
The Wellcome Sanger Institute
5th December 2018
£40850 - £49428
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Salary in the region of £40,850 - £49,428 (dependent on experience) plus excellent benefits
Fixed term for 3 years
Highly motivated Full-Stack Developer required to work on infrastructure for Big Data Genome analysis using OpenStack within the Teichmann laboratory at the Sanger Institute.
An exciting unique opportunity has become available to develop software infrastructure for Human Cell Atlas project (https://www.humancellatlas.org) which aims to increase our understanding of human body on a cellular level. The post holder will be part of the Teichmann group, working closely with colleagues in the core IT team of the Cellular Genetics division and the European Bioinformatics Institute.
Specifically, the post holder will contribute to developing a virtualised compute cloud infrastructure to allow our analysis workflows to be run in a distributed, adaptable and scalable environment. This position would suit a Software Developer who enjoys developing software solutions for large scale data analysis. The post holder will also apply these skills to building and improving the pipeline and portal development within the Teichmann/ Cellular Genetics team at the Sanger Institute.
We are looking for an individual who enjoys working in a multi-disciplinary team environment to help solve complex IT issues which will ultimately aid our understanding of the human body on a cellular level.
* Bachelors degree or above in computer related sciences or equivalent experience
* Evidence of competence and experience using both interpreted and compiled languages
* Knowledge of Linux/Unix based operating systems, libraries, and tools
* Experience with cloud-based compute architectures (AWS / OpenStack etc.)
* Experience of Cloud technologies (e.g. Terraform, Ansible, Kubernetes)
* Knowledge of virtualization/containerisation technologies (Docker, Singularity)
* Experience of and the ability to deliver a quality product within fixed deadlines
* Evidence of having successfully worked in a collaborative, project-focused software team
* Evidence of ability to prioritise tasks to ensure the right things can be done at the right time
* Experience with complex data visualisation
* Highly developed problem solving skills
* Excellent communication skills
* Interest in solving biological problems using genomic data
* Experience with web technologies
* Experience and understanding of bioinformatics and familiarity with next generation sequencing data
* Experience with high performance computing environments
* Experience with managing database systems and writing complex queries
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health. We aim to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens. Our science is large-scale and organised into Programmes, led by our Faculty who conceive and deliver our science, and supported by our Scientific Operations teams responsible for all data production pipelines at the Institute.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity's greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
* Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
* Group Income Protection
* Private Health Insurance
* 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
* Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme, Campus Nursery and Summer holiday club
* Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
* Employee Discount Scheme
* Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
* Active Campus Sports and Social Club
* Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Please include a covering letter and CV with your application. Closing date: 2nd January 2019