3rd December 2018
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Bring your energy to OVO
OVO is the UK’s leading independent energy technology company and supplier - we serve nearly one million customers with intelligent energy services.
Today OVO is no longer simply an energy retail business: it is a group of innovative, dynamic companies, all striving to harness technological advances with great customer propositions to create more abundant clean energy for everyone.
We’d like to hear from you if you are:
- A knowledgeable, curious Software Engineer who has experience of functional programming commercially or personally (projects on your Github are great or tell us about some of the conferences you’ve attended; the books you’ve read or the online courses you’ve completed).
- Language agnostic. We strongly believe in hiring engineers who are product focused and adapt to using the right tools to create and deliver amazing products.
Here are some of the tools you will learn to get the job done:
- Scala, Clojure, Node
- Akka HTTP, http4s, Play, Akka Streams, Alpakka, fs2, Monix, Spark
- Kafka, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Redis, Elasticsearch
- AWS, GCP, Terraform, CloudFormation, Docker, Docker Compose, Kubernetes
- CircleCI, GoCD
Why work at OVO?
We work in highly agile environments with continuous releases. Our Engineers are responsible for not only development, but also testing and managing infrastructure and environments.
We give our cross-functional teams the freedom and trust to find and experiment with the best tools for the job, so that problems aren’t just solved but solved in the most optimal way.
Our Engineers are building and scaling distributed systems. Our microservice platforms are written in the languages that each product team deems most suitable and are connected with event streams using Kafka.
Our impressive Software Engineering community will be there to support you so you can make your ideas heard:
- We have "Backend Communities of Practice" in place.
- Open Source Friday, each quarter we spend time working on different projects - projects suggested by you. We also run a tech blog.
- Tech Time and Tech Fridays: ‘lightning’ talks on interesting tech topics.
- We promote collaboration and knowledge transferring via Slack channels and internal meet-ups. When we share learning from our mistakes it gives us much more time to work on the cool stuff.
- We attend a number of tech conferences (and sponsor a bunch of them too).
A handful of our benefits...
- We give you an additional 4% of your salary to buy benefits that suit you; we offer tech for your home, health care, ISA investment, cycle to work, taste & culture cards, additional holiday & more.
- Flexible working hours
- 25 days' holiday & day off on your birthday
- Free breakfast every day & discounted Friska
- Lots of social events
- The opportunity to get involved in teaching kids to code
- Training budget - this includes joining our up/cross-skilling OVO Bootcamp or videos, books & courses from O’REILLY Safari online
- Matched volunteering and matched fundraising
- You’d be working for an accredited Top Employer
We celebrate diversity and value equal opportunity: the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We want to build a team which represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and we decide employment on the basis of merit and potential.
To apply for the role of Software Engineer, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Software Engineer, Software Developer, Application Developer, Web Developer, Programmer, Software Application Developer, Developer.