Full Stack Developer
3rd December 2018
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Full Stack Developer
Tell me about OVO...
OVO is the UK’s leading independent energy technology company and supplier - we serve nearly one million customers with intelligent energy services.
Today OVO is no longer simply an energy retail business: it is a group of innovative, dynamic companies, all striving to harness technological advances with great customer propositions to create more abundant clean energy for everyone.
And we’re just getting started…
We need to develop, test, and release software that scales, quickly and reliably. Over the last few years, we’ve built a highly skilled team of software engineers that are making a real impact to our business, and shaking up our industry.
We care about code quality, test automation and continuous delivery. Our developers drive our technology choices and own the software they create from their laptop all the way through to production. We’re building a better energy company, and we’re doing it one Git commit at a time.
Right, I’m convinced… but where in the world of OVO will I be working?
You will be working as part of our new In-Home Technology team in Bristol.
That sounds great! What will I be doing?
- Take ownership of, architect, build and scale parts of our microservice platform
- Build features into our front-end products
- Drive both product and technical improvements
- Communicate your ideas, engage with different teams and encourage debate and collaboration.
That sounds super exciting, but… Do I have what it takes?
- Experience building scalable, distributed web applications in any language (knowledge of Scala or Node.js preferred)
- Comfortable with object-oriented and functional programming
- Experience with REST and asynchronous event driven programming
- Passionate about code quality and test automation
- Experience with CI, and ideally CD
- Experience driving automation across build, test and release processes.
Why work at OVO?
We work in highly agile environments with continuous releases. Our Engineers are responsible for not only development, but also testing and managing infrastructure and environments.
We give our cross-functional teams the freedom and trust to find and experiment with the best tools for the job, so that problems aren’t just solved but solved in the most optimal way.
Our Engineers are building and scaling distributed systems. Our microservice platforms are written in the languages that each product team deems most suitable and are connected with event streams using Kafka.
Our impressive Software Engineering community will be there to support you so you can make your ideas heard:
- Open Source Friday, each quarter we spend time working on different projects - projects suggested by you. We also run a tech blog.
- Tech Time and Tech Fridays: ‘lightning’ talks on interesting tech topics.
- We promote collaboration and knowledge transferring via Slack channels and internal meet-ups.
- We attend a number of tech conferences (and sponsor a bunch of them too).
A handful of our benefits...
- We give you an additional 4% of your salary to buy benefits that suit you; we offer tech for your home, health care, ISA investment, cycle to work, taste & culture cards, additional holiday & more.
- Flexible working hours
- 25 days' holiday & day off on your birthday
- Free breakfast every day & discounted Friska
- Lots of social events
- Training budget
- Matched volunteering and matched fundraising
- You’d be working for an accredited Top Employer
We celebrate diversity and value equal opportunity: the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We want to build a team which represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and we decide employment on the basis of merit and potential.
To apply for the role of Full Stack Developer, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Full Stack Developer, Full Stack Engineer, Scala Developer, Back End Developer, Software Developer, Software Engineer, Application Developer, Software Application Developer.