Web Developer (Wordpress, HTML, CSS)
STV is looking for a web developer to lead a project to architect, build and iterate a new website for STV News using WordPress and other proven technologies.
The role requires detailed knowledge of the tools and workflows inherent in successfully delivering and maintaining a project of this scale and importance.
The successful candidate will have the experience and temperament to confidently control all aspects of the development process - from environments and test to performance and database management.
You will have a clear understanding of why WordPress is ideal for this build but a realistic sense of its limitations and how best to mitigate them. In particular, you will have experience of running high-volume WordPress sites serving millions of sessions per month.
A singular focus on user needs lies at the heart of everything we do at STV and this role requires the discipline and focus needed to stay true to this goal.
You will be part of the STV News team and based in our Glasgow newsroom. This will ensure our digital products are closely aligned to our editorial content and that our website becomes a brilliant showcase for our journalism.
Although this role requires a full-stack skill set, it will work closely with a Digital Designer and, in the first instance, an external agency to develop the look, feel and hierarchy of the new site.
This is a rare opportunity to take the lead role in building a large-scale media website for a prominent Scottish brand that will be trusted by millions of users.
Essential skills & experience:
• A passion for WordPress and a track record of creating high performing websites using the CMS
• Highly developed PHP skills
• Detailed understanding of database management and MySQL
• Experience of MVC frameworks
• Proficient in the use of VCS such as Git
• A focus on performance and optimisation
• Experience of CSS pre-processors such as Sass/Less
• Experience of working on high-traffic, large-scale projects
• Pro-active attitude and eagerness to constantly refine and enhance our products for the benefit of our users
• Commitment to continuous learning and skills improvement
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Highly personable with the social skills to thrive in a busy newsroom
• Self motivated to maintain high standards and deliver products our users will love
To apply please email a full CV & cover letter by clicking APPLY now!