||£25,000 - £25,000
As the UKs largest independent producer of organic vegetable boxes, you can imagine that we are no ordinary e-commerce company. We deliver to more than 50,000 households each and every week, run 3 farms, 3 packing houses, a vegetable wholesaler and a restaurant! Every part of our company is enabled through technology from the PDA’s out on the fields to our website and mobile apps. We are extraordinarily passionate about our products, the ethics we demand of ourselves in their supply and the attention to detail we take in their delivery.
Our expectations are high and are rewarded by being part of a fantastic business with amazing benefits. We are based in some of the most beautiful countryside in the world in a modern solar-powered office with all the best start-up trimmings; good coffee, organic home-cooked breakfasts and lunches, modern "start-up” offices, top-end hardware & obviously an arcade machine. We are employee owned and all co-owners share our profits because we believe everyone should succeed together. When was the last time you heard bird sing while prototyping? Walked down a path covered in squirrels while contemplating IA? Ate poached egg on toast during a design review? This is life at Riverford.
What we expect of a UI Designer
You will be joining Riverford at an exciting time - we are currently creating a new app and reimagining our entire website, alongside a host of other great new projects. You will help shape a new e-commerce experience for more than 100,000 customers.
UX is imperative to the success of our digital offerings so you’ll have to champion user-centred design methods and have a love of using design to solve big UI challenges. You’ll build strong working relationships with our development, brand and marketing teams to create user experiences that exceed customer expectations, are highly engaging and look beautiful.
You’ll have an eye for clean, artful design which is intuitive to interact with. You will be comfortable suggesting new approaches, care about improving all our digital products and be unafraid to question the status quo. Most of all, you will want to work with like-minded and highly capable people to deliver fantastic ethical and delicious products presented by YOUR designs.
What you should know
We are less concerned about specifics than we are about cultural fit, an ambition, and capability, to learn and develop your skills. If there is something on our list which is out of your comfort zone that’s fine but expect us, to expect you, to pick it up and run with it should you join us! That said, here are our ideal skills for this role:
• User-centred - Riverford is user-first and our UI should embody that
• Collaboration - Design + Engineering + Insight = Success
• Concept to production - Delivery of each design stage
• UI & digital design trends - Material, flat, brutalist, micro-animations, etc.
• Mobile - A fundamental component of Riverford’s future success
• Responsive - All designs must adapt to their device and channel
• Progressive enhancement - Work for everyone, enrich where able
• A/B testing - The best driver of direction is data and tests help deliver it
• Latin plant names - Kidding…
• Creative tooling - Adobe CS, Sketch, Framer etc.
• Prototype tooling - Experience of Pixate, Invision App, Marvel, Flinto etc..
• User testing - The best way to learn is from the horse’s mouth
• E-commerce - Awareness of business impact is fundamental to success
• Agile / Scrum / Kanban - We develop just-in-time to deliver value quickly
• JIRA - We communicate direction and progress through user-stories
You will have either a solid degree in the arts or a similar capability through experience. You’ll be very capable of solving design problems and communicating them to technical and non-technical people. You are likely to have 1 to 2 years’ experience in commercial design, working with teams, focused around creating high quality, polished user interfaces and experiences. You’re probably involved in the wider design community and will have made contributions through blogs, talks and conferences.
Up to £25,000 per annum
What you get
We reward our staff over and above the norm. We offer a working environment unlike any other and we are constantly improving. That said, here are the usual suspects:
• Highly competitive salary
• Matched contributory pension
• 33 days holiday including bank holidays
• 25% off all our stunning ethical organic food and local partners
• Heavily subsidised, home-cooked organic breakfast and lunch
• 10% of our gross profits are shared with the staff
• Free grade-out organic fruit and veg
• Amazing organic coffee selections; morning espresso to stay-late cafetières
• BIG summer & winter parties along with all year BBQ’s and get-togethers
• Multiple screens, a top end computer (16GB, SSD) + any software you need
This is a permanent contract, 40 hours a week Monday to Friday. Based at Wash Barn, Buckfastleigh, Devon, TQ11 0JU.