Senior UX Designer - Lumo
Senior UX Designer - Lumo
OVO’s UX community is growing and we’re looking for someone to join Lumo, a startup delivering one of the UK’s first app-only energy tariffs. We’re focusing on tech-savvy consumers who are willing to trade lower energy costs in exchange for a self-service account. It’s an exciting time to join the team as we build our customer base and explore new service and feature offerings in real time.
You’ll join a small team where everyone helps out on whatever needs doing. You’ll pair with the UI designer, and work collaboratively with product managers and developers. We’re building the future of our business and we’ve a lot to do. You’ll help to lead the product design, pair with your team on research, define a collaborative design process, and ensure the whole team understands the problem space.
You’ll work in our Paddington office, just behind the station.
- lead design throughout the product lifecycle and new launches — you’ll guide your team in setting their user experience vision and create the space for everyone to be involved
- motivate everyone in your team to participate in research, and to design with insights
- offer research and insights to help product managers adapt and prioritise the roadmap
- identify key problems in our user journeys and propose how to address them
- establish a rapid and iterative design process which involves the whole team
You’ll define, shape, and deliver live solutions for our customers; we’re a digital-only business so we ship the things we make fast. You’ll strive to ensure the user experience is consistent, human-centred, and delivers a best-in-industry service.
What you’ll be doing
First three months
- immerse yourself in the energy industry and our market landscape
- meet our customers and understand the research we’ve done so far
- get started straight away designing user flows and interfaces
- rapidly create concepts and prototypes, knowing when to sketch and keep things lo-fi and when to work with high fidelity and exacting attention to detail
- pair with UI designers and developers on design and reviews to ensure feasible and accessible solutions
Within six months
- contribute to defining the product roadmap with your product manager
- pair with UI designers to maintain and grow our design components library, and begin to push our brand identity
- establish ways for the team to regularly interact with customers and get fast feedback
- plan and lead workshops to bring people together and build shared understanding
- involve everyone in a culture of collaborative research, design, and testing
You’ll love working with us if you...
- have a passion for understanding real people’s real problems, and an ability to coach the people you work with not to jump to solutions too quickly
- have a critical thinking process and enjoy studying problems to puzzle out the challenges
- recognise assumptions (including your own) and seek ways to try and invalidate them
- have a diverse and evolving toolbox of methods and techniques for visualising problems, user journeys, and interactions, as well as for developing and testing solutions
- are empathetic with colleagues as well as customers, especially when you’re communicating research findings, explaining the rationale behind a design, or challenging ways of working
- know your strengths, and recognise there’s always more to learn from others
- embrace iteration and are comfortable with change
UX at OVO means helping teams see their product through the eyes of real people— understanding their context, motivations, and needs—so we can improve things for everyone.
Our researchers and designers use whatever methods and media are best suited to the challenge, and contribute to strategic choices about where user experience improvements could have the greatest impact. We like to use pair design, love design workshops, and put participants at the centre of our research. We fall in love with the problem, not our solutions.
OVO believes in fuelling human progress with clean and abundant energy for all. We were set up to challenge the status quo: to be the good ones, always find a way, and build something great. We embrace simplicity, transparency, and treating people and our planet fairly. And we understand that attracting and keeping the best talent is key to our bright future, so our people will always share in our success. Our benefits are nice too.
We celebrate diversity and value equal opportunity: the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
We want to build a team which represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and we decide employment on the basis of merit and potential. So send us your resume. Ask lots of questions.
To apply for the role of Senior UX Designer, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Senior UX Designer, Principal UX Designer, User Experience Designer, UI Designer, User Interface Designer, Senior Front End Designer, Senior Designer, Lead UX Developer.