Lead Programmer, Geospatial Applications
Plymouth Marine Laboratory
19th December 2018
£37,740 - £51,060
Plymouth Marine Laboratory
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
The Geospatial Applications group is seeking a talented, reliable software developer to join a small but growing team developing software and tools to work with Earth observation data from satellites. You will lead a small development team within a wider group in the development of web-based technologies used by clients including major national and international commercial companies and organisations, as well as the UK Space Agency, European Space Agency, Science and Technology Facilities Council, and UK Government departments..
- Mentor, manage and regularly review individuals to build a cohesive and effective team;
- Work closely with internal and external users and customers to determine requirements and technical needs for the software that you and the team develop;
- Ensure that the code base is developed in a modular, clearly defined and well documented manner that adheres to the coding standards and meets customer expectations.
You should have:
- A sound and demonstrable knowledge of web-based technologies with at least three years’ experience in this field;
- Excellent knowledge of web markup, including HTML5, CSS3 as well as server-side CSS pre-processing platforms, such as LESS and SASS;
- A thorough understanding and experience of Node.js and Python, ideally in a Linux environment;
- Experience of using version control tools such as git;
- A strong academic background in a computer science, maths or physics subject, or equivalent industrial experience.
If you have any of the following skills this will strengthen your application:
- Geographical Information System (GIS) software or tools
- Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) standards
- Linux server administration (nginx, Apache, Tomcat, etc.)
- Containerisation (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Infrastructure virtualisation
The role is based in our office in Plymouth and initially offered for a fixed term of one year, however, an extension is anticipated, although not guaranteed. This post is offered at Lead Programmer level with a salary range between £37,740 and £51,060 depending on experience. In addition, you will have a generous 30 days of annual leave plus 8 days of public holiday. The position advertised is a full-time role requiring 37.5 hours per week, however, applications for part time working are also welcome (please state this in your covering letter). We also operate a flexible working policy.
To apply for this job please click the APPLY button. In your covering letter please consider adding details of projects that you have been involved and your role within this project, or your GitHub profile.
Please clearly state which vacancy you are applying for.
Term: One year Full time, with likely extension
Closing date: 5pm on 11th January 2019