IT Support Technician
||£25,000 - £25,000
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
IT Support Technician
Ordnance Survey has an opportunity available for an IT Support Technician to join the team based in Southampton. You will join us on a full time, permanent basis and in return, you will receive a competitive salary of £25,000 per annum plus excellent benefits - this is a fantastic opportunity to develop a rewarding career.
Ordnance Survey (OS) is the national mapping agency for Great Britain, and a world-leading geospatial data and technology organisation. As a reliable partner to government, business and citizens across Britain and the world, OS helps its customers in virtually all sectors improve quality of life.
OS expertise and data supports efficient public services and infrastructure, new technologies in transport and communications, national security and emergency services and exploring the great outdoors. By being at the forefront of geospatial capability for more than 225 years, we’ve built a reputation as the world’s most inspiring and trusted geospatial partner.
We offer fantastic benefits to our IT Support Technician:
- Salary - £25,000
- Competitive pension
- 37 hour working week with flexible working hours
- 25 days annual leave - (30 days after five years) bank holidays and an extra 3 over Christmas
- Training & Development
- Paid volunteer day
- Bike to Work scheme (with secure bike storage and excellent changing facilities)
- Free onsite parking
- Subsidised on-site staff restaurant
- On-site nursery
- Very generous staff benefits
- Wide variety of sports and social clubs
- Support for your health and wellbeing
About the role:
Ordnance Survey’s Information Systems Department develops and maintains the IT systems and infrastructure that drive our world-leading Geospatial Applications.
We are looking for an IT Support Technician to join our Team providing 2nd and 3rd level support to the extensive range of Web Based Applications, APIs and technologies that underpin Ordnance Survey’s success. This is an exciting role and an ideal entry level position for enthusiastic and motivated people who want to build themselves a career in IT.
As part of the Second and third Level Support team you will use a range of tools, techniques, technical knowledge, and your great investigative and problem-solving skills to provide resolutions to these incidents and requests within agreed Service Level deadlines.
The role will require you to understand our ‘landscape’; the applications and how they link together, the various technologies employed and how they are deployed. You will be responsible for and take ownership of many tasks to ensure that our Applications and services perform effectively including monitoring, housekeeping, regular maintenance tasks, the management of production cycles and interacting with customers and responding to their queries. Once technically proficient you will be required to work out of hours and be on-call one week in every four.
Both our business and applications are constantly evolving and developing, so an important part of the role is to fully engage in the transition process with development teams. This is so that you acquire the skills and knowledge and can effectively support and maintain any new functionality or technologies deployed to our live or production environment.
You will be an excellent team player who works effectively and collaboratively with others but can also work independently when required. With your flexible approach and eagerness to develop in the role, you will be willing to take on any task. We are always striving for excellence, so, as you gain experience you will be expected to identify and implement improvements to our applications and processes to enhance our customers’ experience.
Previous experience of working in an environment that makes use of cloud hosted computing technologies would be beneficial, however appropriate hands-on practical development training will be provided if required. A working knowledge of managing computer systems at command line level would be beneficial and any prior scripting experience would be a bonus. Excellent communication skills are essential in this role.
Skills and experience required to be our IT Support Technician:
- Evidence of drive and determination to learn and apply new skills with an aptitude for technical learning
- Good knowledge of IT beyond that of an end user - for example, experience at the 'command line' in any operating system
- Ability to prioritise tasks and deliver to deadlines while maintaining that attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Experience/exposure with Cloud Based hosting environments (AWS, Azure)
- Linux command line experience
- Understanding of the principles behind Relational Database Systems (use of SQL, etc.)
- Understanding of the principles behind containerised services & applications (Docker, Kubernetes, etc)
Click ‘apply’ today to send us your covering letter and CV. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to join the world’s leading map making and big data organisation as our IT Support Technician.
Closing date: Monday 5th November