Distributed Systems Engineer
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Come help us build the next generation cloud platform to support Internet services across Apple. Our Platform Engineering team evolves, designs, deploys and operates infrastructure which forms the foundation for some of our most exciting services, including Siri, iCloud, Maps, iTunes, and more. The scale at which Apple operates requires the highest levels of automation and integration from the application through compute and the network, end to end. The strongest candidates will have both solid Linux systems expertise and proven software development skills. In this role you will have the unique opportunity to participate in delivering some of the world's largest-scale cloud services to the most-loved devices on Earth.
- Deep understanding of the Linux operating system, including kernel, memory, process, threads, cgroups, static / shared libraries, IPC, signals. Standard UNIX utilities, programs and packaging.
- Extensive experience in configuration management and fleet orchestration via Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or others.
- Understanding of basic Internet infrastructure services including DNS, DHCP, LDAP, server virtualization, server monitoring, cloud services (AWS S3/EC2/CloudFront/Steps... or equivalent).
- Some exposure to structured or unstructured storage and caching.
- Demonstrated history in automating operations processes via services and tools.
- Knowledge of continuous integration, testing methodologies, TDD and agile development methodologies.
- Understanding of distributed system concepts including: the CAP Theorem, micro-services, and the Twelve Factor App.
- Fluency in one or more high-level programming languages like Java, Python, Go, Ruby or equivalent.
-Our group designs, builds and operates the cloud infrastructure that hosts Apple’s consumer-facing applications. We are looking for talented engineers to join a team of highly experienced and effective individuals who are passionate and creative about production. Challenges of scale are solved through automation, attention to detail, and the strength of a fully-integrated data center, network, compute and application stack. Your experience in understanding how applications operate across distributed resources in diverse geographies, and create and tune the tools and monitoring will make you successful.
Responsibilities will include:
- Architect, author and deliver software to improve the availability, scalability and security of Apple's internal cloud infrastructure.
- Build and manage systems, infrastructure and applications through automation.
- Deploy, support and monitor new and existing services, platforms, and application stacks.
- Use scale testing to measure, tune and optimize system performance.
- Participate in periodic 24x7 on-call duties.
- This role may require occasional international travel/transatlantic travel
Technical BS/MS degree or equivalent work experience
To find out more information and to apply, please click the APPLY button.