REF Software Developer
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Research England is a partner organisation within UK Research and Innovation (UKRI). UKRI is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
Research England is a new council within UKRI operating from April 2018. As a key component of the research funding system, Research England will oversee UK Research and Innovation’s England-only functions in relation to university research and knowledge exchange.
Research England recognises and value employees as individuals and aim to provide a pay and rewards package that motivates staff to perform to the best of their ability. The reward package includes a flexible working scheme, a Career Average Revalued Earnings pension scheme, 30 days annual leave allowance and a number of other benefits.
About the role
The Research Excellence Framework (REF) is the system for assessing the quality of research in UK higher education institutions, with the most recent exercise concluding in 2014. HEFCE delivered REF 2014 on behalf of the four UK funding bodies and the results have driven the annual distribution of approximately £2 billion of research funding to UK universities.
Research England are now looking for a REF Software Developer whose role will be to deliver the software components of the REF IT systems.
The key responsibilities of this role will include:
· building accessible interfaces to web services to serve a variety of REF needs, taking responsibility for the quality of code you produce
· building RESTful web services to serve a variety of REF needs, taking responsibility for the quality of code you produce
· building automated tests to support our continuous deployment environment
· sharing knowledge of tools and techniques with your wider team, both developers and non-developers
· participating in-house (2nd line) support
· following best practice guidelines and help to improve those guidelines
· writing clean, secure and well-tested code.
You will have experience in front-end and/or back-end development, with detailed knowledge of at least one programming language.
You should have experience of collaborating with developers, QA staff, managers and users to determine requirements and/or resolve problems.
You must be educated to graduate level (preferably a computer science or maths degree) or equivalent and have experience of working within an agile multi-disciplined development team.
You will have knowledge of:
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 or later
- C#, ASP.Net, MVC 4/5
- ASP.Net Web API 2 and REST services.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role.
Applications are handled by UK Shared Business Services, to apply please click the Apply Now button. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1793 867000.
The closing date for applications is 15th October 2018.