System Administrator (1st Line Support)
||£26,000 - £29,000
We’re seeking a highly motivated individual with a true passion for technology to join our friendly Support team here at Bytemark’s HQ in York.
As a key member of the team, you’ll be solving all sorts of technical issues from architecting new systems for customers through to troubleshooting performance issues. We like to help our customers stay on the cutting edge of the technology world, while at the same time taking away their headaches.
• Answer telephone and email queries
• Provide technical advice and troubleshoot various topics such as DNS, web server optimization, MySQL/PostgreSQL database administration, email, WordPress and Cloud Native technologies like Docker
• Help your colleagues build their own knowledge
• Contribute to customer-facing documentation
• Take ownership of certain internal IT systems, from deployment through to maintenance
• Participate in our out-of-hours support rota, averaging 1 week in 7 (these weeks attract double your normal pay)
Skills we're seeking
• Clear dedication to customer service
• Clarity, expressiveness and decisiveness in your writing
• Positive and empathetic phone manner
• Linux systems experience, whether trained or self-taught
• Working knowledge of LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, deploying PHP applications) and willingness to learn other technologies
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize, learn and teach within a team of mixed skill levels
• Commitment to your own professional development
What kind of company is Bytemark?
Bytemark is a 34-person strong hosting company founded 15 years ago, with over 2400 customers. Our head office is in the beautiful, historic city of York. Our mission is to provide solid, reliable hosting with a strong focus on the UK market. We have a deep appreciation for the free software movement and as we’ve grown, made sure that our recruitment and management are truly equal-opportunity, provide a flexible 37.5-hour average work week and family-friendly employment policies.
Whilst we have a mix of staff in traditionally "technical” and "non-technical” roles, everyone in the company is encouraged to excel in their field, regardless of their position or workflow. Everyone at Bytemark is valued for the diverse skills and ambitions they bring to the company.
Our two largest team are currently Engineering and Support - building things and helping customers use them is where we spend most of our time.
Your line manager will work closely with you and the HR Director to establish your learning needs and ensure that you have the training and resources you need.
We would like you to have a commitment to your own professional development and actively seek learning opportunities. Bytemark will pay for 5 days of conference or training (including expenses) each year to pique your interest and pick up new skills.
This position is based at our friendly, modern York office (YO26 6BL).
Employment Terms & Benefits
You will be expected to work 37.5 hours per week. Days start between 8 to 10am and finish between 4 to 6pm, as part of a team rota with some degree of flexibility. You will also be expected to participate in the out of hours rota after training, usually 8 weeks.
• Standard holiday allowance: 25 days holiday + UK bank holidays
• Extra holiday allowance: 1 day per full year of employment up to 32 days
• Allowance for home broadband service
• Group Personal Pension Scheme
• Annual health cash plan & private health care
• Enhance Maternity - 16 weeks pay + 8 week 50%
• Enhance Paternity - 2 weeks pay + 2 weeks 50%
• Childcare voucher scheme
• 5 days per year allowance for training purposes
Our policies and benefits enable every staff member to balance both family and work commitments, without sacrificing individual ambition or professional development.
Before you apply
Please understand these points before applying:
• You must already be eligible to work in the UK — unfortunately we cannot sponsor visas for this position.
• We will reference successful candidates by reaching out to nominated references and paying for a Basic Disclosure Scotland check.
What are you waiting for?!
There's no "cultural fit" requirement. If you're customer focused and can work well within a team, we'd love to have you on-board!