12th September 2018
£85000 - £85000
£Competitive Salary DOE Plus Benefits
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
£Competitive Salary DOE Plus Benefits
Bring your energy to OVO
OVO is the UK’s leading independent energy technology company and supplier - we serve nearly one million customers with intelligent energy services.
Today OVO is no longer simply an energy retail business: it is a group of innovative, dynamic companies, all striving to harness technological advances with great customer propositions to create more abundant clean energy for everyone.
We’d like to hear from you if you have either:
- Commercial experience with functional programming
- AND/OR come from a polyglot background and have a demonstrated desire to learn functional programming - things like projects on your GitHub are great or tell us about some of the conferences you’ve attended; the books you’ve read or the online courses you’ve completed
Here are some of the tools you will learn to get the job done:
- Akka HTTP, http4s, Play, Akka Streams, Alpakka, fs2, Monix, Spark
- Cats, Scalaz, Circe, Avro, Slick, doobie, PureConfig
- Kafka, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Redis, Elasticsearch
- InfluxDB, Chronograf, Grafana, Kamon
- AWS, GCP, Terraform, CloudFormation, Docker, Docker Compose, Kubernetes
- CircleCI, GoCD
- Scalatest, Specs2, ScalaCheck, Gatling
Why work at OVO?
We work in highly agile environments with continuous releases; our Engineers are responsible for not only development but also for testing (unit and integration), automating tests and managing infrastructure & environments.
We give our cross-functional team the freedom and trust to find and experiment with the best tools for the job, so that problems aren’t just solved but solved in the most optimal way.
Our Engineers are building and scaling distributed systems. Our microservice platform is written in Scala and is connected with event streams using Kafka.
Our impressive BE community will be there to support you, so you can make your ideas heard:
- We have "Backend Communities of Practice" in place
- Open Source Friday, each quarter we spend time working on different OS projects - projects suggested by you. We also run a tech blog.
- Tech Time and Tech Friday’s: ‘lightning’ talks on interesting tech topics. Recent discussions have included ‘Functional Domain Modelling’, ‘A Brief History of LISP’ and ‘Bring your own Effect’ hosted by Chris Birchall. We get together and share things we are proud of or interested in!
- Across slack channels and via internal meet-ups we promote collaboration, knowledge transferring and if something isn’t working: ‘fail fast’ so that we can share learning from our mistakes across all our teams - giving us much more time to work on the cool stuff.
- We attend a number of tech conferences (and sponsor a bunch of them too, like Scala eXchange) then summarise the agenda to discuss new ideas internally and learnt from them. We love to pair program.
A handful of our benefits:
- Flexible Benefits which can be spent on stuff like Health care, ISA investment, Cycle to work, Taste and Culture cards, tech for your home & much more
- Flexible Working Hours
- 25 days' holiday & day off on your birthday
- Open plan offices with videos games & table tennis
- Free breakfast every day and lunch on Fridays
- Lots of social events
- The opportunity to get involved in teaching kids to code
- Training budget - this includes joining our up/cross-skilling OVO Bootcamp or videos, books & courses from O’REILLY Safari online
- Matched volunteering and matched fundraising
- You’d be working for an accredited Top Employer
To apply for the role of Backend Engineer, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Backend Engineer, Scala Engineer, Scala Programmer, Scala Developer, Backend Programmer, Backend Developer, Application Engineer, Scala Backend Engineer, Programming Engineer.