||£29,832 - £32,367
||Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Do you have extensive experience as an Application Developer?
Are you someone who enjoys solving problems and working to deadlines?
Would you consider yourself an enthusiastic person who enjoys working as part of a team?
We have an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated person to be a part of our in house development team delivering mobile and web based applications (hosted in the Cloud) to our front line staff, aimed at improving road safety to our millions of customers across the UK.
You will use leading edge technology and will play a vital part in DVSA’s Vehicle Enforcement and Vehicle / Driver Testing activity.
You will be an application developer who can preferably, or following any necessary retraining, be developing applications using DVSA’s strategic technology stack, which includes the following:
• Java, Jenkins, Postman, REST, GraphQL ; Junit, Mockito;
• GIT, Jira, Confluence;
• Databases : Oracle, MySQL and SqlServer ; No SQL database technology;
• Cloud based services : AWS Appsync ; API Gateway ; Lambda ; IAM ; KMS ; EC2 ; Terraform ; Puppet;
• Associated design patterns frameworks and automated testing.
We are always looking for the best ways to improve our software and applications and will provide you with continuous training and development to help you reach your potential - all we ask from you is your commitment and willingness to learn.
You’ll be involved in projects across the wider business and have exciting opportunities to learn about the different areas of our agency and meet new colleagues; as part of an agile delivery model you’ll work with the project manager, product lead and external contacts.
You will lead a sprint team and be the point of contact for our Developers and Junior Developers, supporting them in the delivery of sprint goals and technical delivery. You will draw upon your technical experience and expertise to inspire and motivate others to deliver tasks on time and to a high standard and will work with a range of key stakeholders such as:
• Product Managers (business lead);
• Scrum Masters;
• Business Analysts;
• Technical Leads;
• Solution Architects;
• Project Managers.
Reporting to one of our Tech Leads, you’ll have technical and line management responsibility for Developers and be on hand to provide advice and mentorship to our Junior Developer Apprentices to aid our succession planning.
Some of the key responsibilities will include:
Analyse business requirements and ensure appropriate documentation is provided for solution delivery.
• Ensure your work aligns with agreed methodologies (including Agile/Scrum);
• Document the design/technical specifications in response to agree user requirements which are delivered to agreed standards;
• Provide input into the quality assurance and testing of developed applications;
• Coordinate the work of junior developers in relation to development work and both System and User;
• Support, maintain and enhance existing products and applications, including diagnosis and resolution of complex problems in a live environment;
• Keep up to date on new technologies and take accountability for your knowledge;
• Leading developments and taking responsibility for overall work delivery;
• Supporting Developers and Junior Developers.
Quality assurance and test developed applications:
• Review and provide technical assurance of proposed IT solutions.
For more information about our Senior Developer, roles please read the role profile attached to this advert.
You’ll be required to travel occasionally to our other DVSA offices in Bristol, Nottingham and Birmingham.
To be successful in this role you’ll have extensive and current experience in Application Development using a recognised programming language and preferably have experience working at a senior level.
You’ll enjoy solving problems and be innovative in creating solutions to problems in order to build your own and your colleagues capability.
You will be excited by the opportunity to make a difference in improving road safety in the UK
Leading a team, you’ll be a great mentor, teammate and an organised person which will help your team to deliver to tight deadlines.
You’ll be an excellent communicator and have a real willingness to learn and be dedicated to your own self development.
To find out more and to apply, please click the APPLY button.
Closing date: 14 September 2018