||£24,876 - £26,120
||Plus allowances of £4000
||Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Do you have experience as an Application Developer?
Are you someone who enjoys solving problems and working to deadlines?
Would you consider yourself an enthusiastic person who enjoys working as part of a team?
We have an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated person to be a part of our in house development team delivering mobile and web based applications (hosted in the Cloud) to our front line staff, aimed at improving road safety to our millions of customers across the UK.
You will use leading edge technology and will play a vital part in DVSA’s Vehicle Enforcement and Vehicle / Driver Testing activity.
You will be an application developer who will, following any necessary training, be developing applications using DVSA’s strategic technology stack, which includes the following:
• Java, Jenkins, Postman, REST, GraphQL ; Junit, Mockito
• GIT, Jira, Confluence
• Databases : Oracle, MySQL and SqlServer ; No SQL database technology
• Cloud based services : AWS Appsync ; API Gateway ; Lambda ; IAM ; KMS ; EC2 ; Terraform ; Puppet
• Associated design patterns frameworks and automated testing
We are always looking for the best ways to improve our software and applications and will provide you with continuous training and development to help you reach your potential - all we ask from you is your commitment and willingness to learn.
Working in an agile environment, you will be delivering key tasks to your sprint team deadlines. You will be involved in daily stand ups, sprint retrospectives, sprint planning and technology spikes and will work closely with a range of key stakeholders such as:
• Product Manager (business lead)
• Scrum Master
• Business Analysts
• Technical Leads
• Solution Architects
• Project Manager
You will build, configure and support a range of exciting new and existing solutions, making a significant difference to how our front line staff operate.
Where necessary you will provide technical support and advice to your colleagues across the team. Reporting to one of our experienced Senior Developers, you will also have line management responsibilities for our Junior Developers (Apprentices). You will display role model behaviours to inspire and mentor our apprentices which is a fantastic opportunity to build up your line management experience.
Some of the key responsibilities of the role are:
• Analyse business requirements and ensure appropriate documentation is provided for solution delivery
• Ensure your work aligns with agreed methodologies (including Agile/Scrum)
• Document the design/technical specifications in response to agree user requirements which are delivered to agreed standards
• Provide input into the quality assurance and testing of developed applications
• Coordinate the work of junior developers in relation to development work and both System and User Acceptance Testing
• Support, maintain and enhance existing products and applications, including diagnosis and resolution of complex problems in a live environment
• Keep up to date on new technologies and take accountability for your knowledge
For more information about our Developer roles please read the role profile attached to this advert.
You’ll be required to travel occasionally to our other DVSA offices in Bristol, Nottingham and Birmingham.
To be successful in this role you’ll have experience in Application Development using recognised programming languages and are currently or have previously worked in an IT Application Development environment.
You’ll enjoy solving problems and be innovative in creating solutions to problems in order to build your own and your colleagues capability
You will be excited by the opportunity to make a difference in improving road safety in the UK
Working as part of a team, you’ll be a great teammate and an organised person which will help you when delivering to tight deadlines.
You’ll be an excellent communicator and have a real willingness to learn and be dedicated to your own self development.
To find out more and to apply, please click the APPLY button.
Closing date: 14 September 2018.