||£58,434 - £67,199
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
We are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads. Consider that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It's an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which is why we're so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy. And with responsibility for major projects, working here is also a great move for your career.
The Smart Motorways Programme has been set up to deliver technology driven solutions on the nation's motorway network in order to tackle congestion, improve journeys and add much needed capacity on key parts of the network. This currently involves the conversion of the existing hard shoulder to a running lane but also looks forward to developing and implementing improved stopped vehicle detection systems, improved traffic flow management and improved construction methods to deliver benefits quicker.
We are seeking x2 Programme Managers. Because this is a National Programme, the post holders can be based from any of our offices but the focus will be around our project in Manchester and our project in the M1 corridor; majority of the time will be spent in these regions and travel to our Birmingham office will be required 1-2 days per week.
As Programme Lead, you will manage the performance of project teams, external contractors and consultants and ensuring adherence to effective governance, quality assurance, health and safety, technical and specialist standards across the supply chain and Highways England, to ensure successful delivery of agreed project outcomes and acting in line with mandatory and delegated responsibilities.
The Programme Lead is a key role within the Highways England Client Team responsible for the delivery and performance of the project. The role is critically important in setting the strategic, technical, economic and sustainable framework that will meet the Client Scheme Requirements. Key work-streams include public consultation and stakeholder engagement, securing the DCO, technical development, innovation, health, safety and wellbeing, legacy and benefits and supplier engagement.
Day to Day:
* Develop and maintain strong collaborative relationships with the Project Board and key external stakeholders to ensure full mutual understanding of the programme's strategic and delivery objectives, to report on and review programme performance, to agree solutions that resolve complex issues and to generate support for new project business cases.
* Ensure full compliance with Highways England Portfolio, Programme and Project Management System (P3MS), clarifying roles and responsibilities within the project delivery and PMO teams and holding them to account for creating high quality baseline management products, producing timely and accurate reports and for creating and maintaining specified records.
* Establish and manage any programme or project specific procedures, for example risk management, issue and change control, configuration management and communication, in line with P3MS.
* Oversee the production of and approve project plans, to ensure that all activities are appropriately organised to deliver project objectives, are appropriately resourced to deliver the required outcomes, and comply with P3MS and locally defined procedures.
* Extensive experience of leading people and teams to successful delivery of a programme of complex, high risk projects, and/or high profile change programmes.
* Extensive track record of managing complex relationships with multiple stakeholders and evidence of skills to influence relationships for positive outcomes.
* Demonstrate experience as mentor and/or coach to develop project management talent, skills and competence within a complex project environment
* Has experience operating within complex matrix organisations
* Strong evidence of commercial skills with proven ability to negotiate and manage contracts to deliver outcomes and drive value for money
* Track record as mentor and/or coach to develop project management talent, skills and competence within a complex project environment
* Ensure Quality Assurance and overall integrity of the project, focusing on the internal consistency of the Programme, on its coherence and interfaces with other programmes and portfolios of work, and its consistency with corporate technical and specialist standards.
* Manage, lead and motivate senior project managers, the PMO and their teams, to ensure effective performance is delivered on the programme and to support their personal development.
* Appoint external delivery partners and consultants; oversee and direct their delivery and hold them to account, to ensure timely delivery, value for money and adherence to Highways England standards.
All applications must be accompanied with a current CV which will be used to assess your suitability for the role. Please ensure all the skills, experience and qualifications requested are clearly demonstrated in your CV as explained in the body of the advert.
All applicants must provide their right to work documentation at interview stage, such as a valid passport.
Please note that Highways England reserve the right to close the advert before the advertised closing date should a sufficient response have been received. Therefore, please complete your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.