||10th August 2018
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Product design role in a small, nimble team
OVO’s UX community is growing and we’re looking for someone to join VCharge and help build the customer touchpoints for our IoT service. You’ll be helping us design better tools and services so we can help power the UK’s sustainable energy future.
VCharge are shaping the future: a distributed, consumer-centric energy system providing clean, affordable energy for everyone " and a key element in delivering this promise is our intelligent technology platform based on real-time energy availability. We’re creating tools to help customers unlock the full benefits of renewable energy, power their connected hardware, and interact with devices which don’t have displays of their own. This stuff is how we bring electric vehicles and connected homes to market.
We’re building the future of our business and we’ve a lot to do. You’ll lead the product design, pair with your team on research, explore data visualisation and information communication, define a collaborative design process, and help bring emerging technology to life.
You’ll join a small team where everyone helps out on whatever needs doing, and together you’ll solve interesting challenges in displaying complex information in an intuitive and meaningful way. They’re big fans of quickly visualising their thinking and guerrilla testing, but have a vital gap when it comes to interface design and digital brand, as well as user flows and information architecture.
You’ll work in London, and also collaborate with colleagues in Bristol. Learn more about us at ovoenergy.com/careers, and check out our Glassdoor reviews. We’re delighted we came 20th in The Sunday Times' 100 best companies to work for 2017.
- design and deliver interfaces which help customers understand, customise, and take charge of their personal energy landscape
- establish a rapid and iterative design process which involves the whole team
- help your team validate or dismiss the assumptions they’ve had to make so far
- coordinate a research programme to continuously surface feedback and insights
- champion customer’s needs"and the power of great design"across all of VCharge
You’ll define, shape, and deliver live solutions for our customers. And you’ll strive to ensure the user experience is consistent, human-centred, and delivers a best-in-industry service.
What you’ll be doing
First three months
- immerse yourself in the energy industry and our market landscape
- meet our customers, and understand the research we’ve done so far
- get started straight away working on defining flows and designing interfaces
- build relationships with our highly engaged partners and subject-matter experts
- get to know your new team, and connect with our wider research and design community
Within six months
- establish ways for the team to regularly interact with customers and get fast feedback
- guide the team to roll out a modular design system so you can move ever faster
- closely pair with developers to ensure feasible and inclusive solutions
- help the team to ship first-generation versions of the systems they’ve been creating
- apply research insights to how we might evolve our products in the future
You’ll love working with us if you...
- have a passion for understanding real people’s real problems, and an ability to coach the people you work with not to jump to solutions too quickly
- have a critical thinking process and enjoy studying problems to puzzle out the challenges
- recognise assumptions (including your own) and seek ways to try and invalidate them
- have a diverse and evolving toolbox of methods and techniques for visualising problems, user journeys, and interactions, as well as for developing and testing solutions
- are empathetic with colleagues as well as customers, especially when you’re communicating research findings, explaining the rationale behind a design, or challenging ways of working
- know your strengths, yet recognise there’s always more to learn from others
- are comfortable with change and embrace iteration
UX at OVO means helping teams see their product through the eyes of real people"understanding their context, motivations, and needs"sowe can improve things for everyone.
Our researchers and designers use whatever methods and media are best suited to the challenge, and contribute to strategic choices about where user experience improvements could have the greatest impact. We like to use pair design, love design workshops, and put participants at the centre of our research. We fall in love with the problem, not our solutions.
OVO believes in fuelling human progress with clean and abundant energy for all. We were set up to challenge the status quo: to be the good ones, always find a way, and build something great. We embrace simplicity, transparency, and treating people and our planet fairly. And we understand that attracting and keeping the best talent is key to our bright future, so our people will always share in our success. Our benefits are nice too.
We celebrate diversity and value equal opportunity: the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We want to build a team which represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and we decide employment on the basis of merit and potential.
For more information and to apply, please click the application button below.