Senior UX Designer
Senior UX Designer
Senior role across a major project.
We’re looking for a user experience professional to join our growing UX practice and help us design tools and services to power a sustainable energy future.
Specifically, you’ll be a part of the team responsible for our new consumer energy platform.
Our customers tell us energy is confusing: it’s hard to feel in control of it, and bills are difficult to understand. We want to address these issues through digital services which unlock the potential of smart meters and accurate energy usage data. We’ve built the basics: allowing customers to see their energy costs and handle their account, and we’re working our way towards the exciting opportunities offered by electric vehicles, storage batteries, and the connected home.
We’re building the future of our business and we’ve a lot to do. You’ll lead the product design, co-ordinate research, continue to champion user-centred design, coach designers and non-designers alike, and push for organisational change where needed.
You will be based in Bristol, and also collaborate with colleagues in London.
- design and deliver tools which help our customers understand and take charge of their energy usage — one of the biggest challenges in our industry
- integrate lean UX as a core and highly visible part of the product strategy
- help the product team continuously align their priorities to customer needs
- motivate everyone to participate in research, and to design with insights
- advocate and coach an agile design approach closely aligned with iterative development
- communicate across the organisation how UX is driving customer and business value
You’ll define, shape, and deliver live solutions for our customers. It’s your job to ensure the user experience is consistent, customer-focused, and delivers a best-in-industry service.
What you’ll be doings
First three months
- immerse yourself in the energy industry and our market landscape
- meet our customers, and understand the programme of work
- contribute to defining the product roadmap with your product manager
- show your team how good design enables a lean and iterative development approach
- get to know your new team, and connect with our wider design community
Within six months
- involve everyone in a culture of collaborative research, design, and testing
- closely pair with developers to ensure feasible and inclusive solutions
- plan and run workshops to bring people together and build shared understanding
- co-ordinate across multiple agile teams, and with operations and customer care teams
- apply insights to how we might evolve our service in the future
You’ll love working with us if you...
- have a passion for understanding real people’s real problems, and an ability to coach your colleagues and team members to avoid jumping to solutions too quickly
- have a honed critical thinking process and enjoy studying problems to puzzle out the challenges
- easily recognise assumptions (including your own) and seek ways to try and invalidate them
- have a diverse and evolving toolbox of methods and techniques for visualising problems, user journeys, and interactions, as well as for developing and testing solutions
- be empathetic to colleagues as well as customers, especially when you’re communicating research findings, making recommendations, explaining the rationale behind your designs, or challenging a team’s ways of working
- know your strengths, yet recognise there’s always more you can learn from others
- are comfortable with change and embrace iteration
UX at OVO means helping teams see their product through the eyes of real people—understanding their context, motivations, and needs—so we can improve them for everyone.
Our UX researchers and designers use whatever methods and media are best suited to the challenge and contribute to strategic decisions about where user experience improvements could have the greatest impact. We like to use pair design, love design workshops, and put the participant at the centre of our research.
OVO believes in fuelling human progress with clean and abundant energy for all.
We were set up to always find a better way and challenge the status quo: we want to be the good guys, find a way, and build something great. We embrace simplicity, transparency, and treating people and our planet fairly.
We understand that attracting and keeping the best talent is key to our bright future, so our people will always share in our success.
We celebrate diversity and value equal opportunity; We want to build a team which represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and we decide employment on the basis of merit and potential.
To apply for the role of Senior UX Designer, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Senior UX Designer, Principal UX Designer, User Experience Designer, UI Designer, User Interface Designer, Senior Front End Designer, Senior Designer, Lead UX Developer.