Digital Software Apprentice
||Wellcome Sanger Institute
||The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
Salary; £17,045 per annum plus additional benefits
We have an exciting opportunity for someone to join our Infomatics and LIMS team as a Software Developer Apprentice whilst working towards gaining a BSc Hons Digital and Technology Solutions Degree Apprenticeship at Anglia Ruskin University.
We encourage individuals with an interest in moving into the field of software development, someone who is enthusiastic, eager to learn, willing, and able to work in a team environment
You will be based in the Infomatics and LIMS team who are responsible for providing software to track, task and report on our laboratory activity and there will be involvement in all key activities, with the intention to develop and take on more responsibilities as your knowledge and skills grow.
A small team of typically two to five developers working on one product as part of a larger team of approximately fifteen write, maintain, and provide support for specific software programs or databases - many of which are used by laboratory groups. Keeping the software operating effectively which may involve bug fixing, general trouble shooting and making improvements.
This as a developmental role to encourage new talent in the area of software development. Following training complementary to your apprenticeships degree you will;
* Use databases technologies,
* Use Continuous Integration (CI) servers to automate testing of your code,
* Use private cloud infrastructure and Linux hosts to deploy the software.
During your apprenticeship we can offer you;
* A senior software developer dedicated as your technical mentor,
* A permeant publically available portfolio of your coding and development (https://github.com/sanger),
* Space to explore your long-term opportunities through our trained coaches and mentors program,
* A comfortable working environment with a first name culture, informal dress code, a company social calendar and modern offices set to the 55 acre grounds of Hinxton Hall and associated wet land reserve.
* 3 A levels at grade C with at least one grade coming from a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths) subject
* Willing to learn and put in the necessary work to gain the Digital and Technology Solutions Degree Apprenticeship qualification
* An interest in science and technology, ideally demonstrated through building software or hardware projects for personal interest. (You may have gained these skills through raspberry pi project or equivalent)
* Good verbal and written communication skills
* Some experience with Linux command line creating, renaming, moving, deleting files and manually editing files in a text editor
* Good attention to detail
* Excellent problem solving skills
* Enthusiastic, flexible and proactive
* Ability to deal with changing priorities
* Ability to work within and contribute to a team.
* Eager to learn new skills
Closing date: 12th August 2018
Genome Research Limited is an Equal Opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion and promoting equality in careers in science, we hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and have an active Equality, Diversity and Inclusion programme of activity. We will consider all applicants without discrimination on grounds of disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. We are open to a range of UK-based flexible working options including part-time or full-time employment as well as flexible hours due to caring or other commitments.