||£30,000 - £35,000
Working as part of an inter-disciplinary marketing team you will be responsible for
designing, developing, testing and delivering tasteful digital experiences to help position
Bytemark as the home for Cloud Native developers in the UK.
We are seeking someone who can design and build interactive websites as part of an
interdisciplinary team. You will have a keen eye for user experience and design detail and be
able to translate our brand guidelines and business goals into functional, attractive websites
which delight our customers and staff.
Our ideal candidate will have excellent knowledge of using HTML and CSS to build high
interactivity. However, we are happy to consider candidates with minimal experience in
web development who have a particular flair for web and/or graphic design.
We will want to see some record of achievement in website design & development, though
this might be from projects that were personal or not developed as part of your day job.
What kind of company is Bytemark?
Bytemark is a 34-person strong hosting company founded in 2002, with around 3000
customers. Our head office is located in the beautiful, historic city of York. Our mission is to
position Bytemark as the home for UK Cloud Native developers. We've a deep appreciation
for the free software movement and as we've grown, made sure that our recruitment and
management are focused on providing equal opportunities for all staff; providing a flexible
37.5-hour work week and family-friendly employment policies.
Whilst we have a mix of staff in traditionally "technical" and "non-technical" roles, everyone
in the company is encouraged to excel in their field, regardless of their position or workflow.
Your duties would include:
• Design and develop responsive and accessible websites
• Help to conceptualise original ideas that bring simplicity and user friendliness to
complex design roadblocks
• Test your designs with users and working with the team to im
• Implement analytical testing tools that monitor the ongoing performance of our
• Develop and document design guidelines, best practices and standards
Your line manager will work closely with you and the HR Director to establish your learning
needs and ensure that you have the training and resources you need.
We would like you to have a commitment to your own professional development and
actively seek learning opportunities. Bytemark will pay for 5 days of conference or training
(including expenses) each year to pique your interest and pick up new skills.
Skills we're seeking
• Excellent skills in building responsive websites using HTML and CSS
• Demonstrable website design skills
• A keen eye for detail and a sensitivity to user-system interaction
• Understanding of Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) techniques
• Proactive and organised with excellent time-management, analytical, and
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in the English language
• Highly motivated person with a desire to learn, grow, and adapt quickly
• Ability to work independently and part of mixed team environment
• Experience of using static site generator tools
• Competent user of WordPress
• Familiarity with revision control systems, e.g. Git
• Knowledge of Sketch, Adobe or similar programmes
This position will be based in our York office where the team is situated. Some remote
working may be possible if you have the right experience. Our company has been split
between York, Manchester and several fully remote workers for years, so we have various
ways of making that work.
Our whole team comes to our York HQ three times a year for a meal, catch-up and talks.
• Standard holiday allowance: 25 days holiday + UK bank holidays
• Extra holiday allowance: 1 day per full year of employment up to 32 days
• Allowance for home broadband service
• Bytemark administered group personal Pension Scheme (company contribution 3%)
• Annual health cash plan & private health care
• Enhanced Maternity - 16 weeks pay + 8 weeks 50% pay
• Enhanced Paternity - 2 weeks full pay + 2 weeks 50% pay
• Childcare voucher scheme
• 5 days per year allowance for training and development
• Company-provided bicycle for employees within cycling distance
Our policies and benefits enable every staff member to balance both family and work
commitments, without sacrificing individual ambition or professional development.
Before you apply
Please understand these points before applying:
• You must already be eligible to work in the UK
• We will request and review references from successful candidates
• We would ask successful candidates to complete a Basic Disclosure Scotland check
(which will be reimbursed)
What are you waiting for?!
There's no "cultural fit" requirement. If you're customer focused and can work well within a
team, we'd love to have you on-board!