Cloud Systems Engineer
||The Francis Crick Institute
||£45000 - £50000
||Competitive with benefits, subject to skills and experience
||The Francis Crick Institute
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
We are seeking talented Systems Engineers/Administrators to join the multi-institutional operations team (UCL, The Crick, Sanger, EMBL-EBI, QMUL, and LSHTM) to run and develop the eMedLab biomedical research cloud - (www.emedlab.ac.uk).
This is a great development opportunity and a chance to work on an exciting project with emerging technologies at scale. You will join a vibrant and growing community and will develop your experience in the deployment and management of a large-scale OpenStack platform associated with a large IBM Spectrum Scale storage system.
eMedLab is a 6000 core OpenStack private cloud, underpinned by a 5PB high performance Spectrum Scale storage to perform data analysis crucial to the development of treatments for diseases including Cancer, using medical and biological data of an unprecedented scale and complexity.
The roles are based within in one of the most exciting areas of London, close to UCL’s Bloomsbury Campus, the Alan Turing institute, the British Library, and Google’s European headquarters (where iconic companies such as Deep Mind are based). The Francis Crick Institute offers a unique opportunity to acquire professional experience in an international scientific environment with access to a wide range of cutting edge technologies.
Due to the highly collaborative and fast-paced nature of our work, we are looking for people who:
- Have great interpersonal and communication skills, with proven ability to work as part of a team
- Enjoy solving problems within tight deadlines
- Are self-motivated learners with a track record of continually updating their skills
Technical skills we are looking for:
- Excellent Linux systems engineering/administration and troubleshooting skills (Red Hat, Centos)
- Good grasp of network design and operation (TCP/IP)
- Experience in managing OpenStack private cloud infrastructures
Having one or more of the following skills will be advantageous:
- Experience in using/managing high performance parallel storage systems and services (Spectrum Scale)
- Experience in management of Mellanox-based Ethernet fabrics.
- Experience in using or managing HPC systems and scheduler policies (SLURM, SGE, etc.).
The Francis Crick Institute is a biomedical discovery institute dedicated to understanding the fundamental biology underlying health and disease. Its work is helping to understand why disease develops and to translate discoveries into new ways to prevent, diagnose and treat illnesses such as cancer, heart disease, stroke, infections, and neurodegenerative diseases.
An independent organisation, its founding partners are the Medical Research Council (MRC), Cancer Research UK, Wellcome, UCL (University College London), Imperial College London and King’s College London.
The Crick was formed in 2015, and in 2016 it moved into a brand new state-of-the-art building in central London which brings together 1500 scientists and support staff working collaboratively across disciplines, making it the biggest biomedical research facility under a single roof in Europe.