Full Stack Developer
||£38,000 - £44,000
We’re looking for an enthusiastic Full Stack Developer to join our expanding team of multiskilled
front-end and back-end developers. We’re interested in someone who can take apart
a web application, get to know it intimately and then develop, fix, test, and deliver it.
You should be comfortable in picking apart modern web application frameworks, APIs and
SQL, as well as doing occasional spots of browser-side debugging.
The main languages we use are Ruby and Go, but if you’ve completed work in C++, Java,
Python or similar languages you’ll get on just fine! We use Rails for many of our web-facing
APIs and internal applications. You’ll need proven development track record, and a strong
desire to get projects delivered.
Your work here would depend on your skills and experiences; however, it might include:
• Developing new features on our Bytemark Cloud platform
• Diagnosing and fixing issues on our Cloud platform for the Platform and Customer
• Maintaining our existing Rails application to current standards
• Breaking up legacy codebase into individual front-ends and micro services
We've developed our own cloud hosting platform, founded on our history of building
hosting products with innovative technologies. We’re not afraid of challenges and have
learned how to turn inventive engineering decisions into high-value production systems. We
love putting these new ideas into production for our customers. Our uptime and long-term
reputation is a critical consideration in all of our work across the business.
We adhere to Agile software development practices and organise our work according to the
Scrum framework. We use Git for version control and Gitlab to keep track of issues and for
continuous integration. Developers self-organise their work within self-contained sprint
cycles. In short, we have an evolving methodology and a wealth of experience - this means
we can quickly and efficiently deliver new features for our customers.
What kind of company is Bytemark?
Bytemark is a 32-person strong hosting company founded in 2002, with around 3000
customers. Our head office is located in the beautiful, historic city of York. Our mission is to
provide solid, reliable hosting with a strong focus on the UK market. We've a deep
appreciation for the free software movement and as we've grown, made sure that our
recruitment and management are focused on providing equal opportunities for all staff
through providing a flexible 37.5-hour average work week and family-friendly employment
Whilst we have a mix of staff in traditionally "technical" and "non-technical" roles, everyone
in the company is encouraged to excel in their field, regardless of their position or workflow.
Your duties would include:
• Writing straightforward, reliable code with reasonable test coverage
• Reviewing code of other members of the team, both senior and junior
• Participate in building specifications as part of sprint planning within the Scrum
• Triage and investigate issues reported on our code bases
• Communicate the work of the Engineering team both internally to the company and
the wider world
Your line manager will work closely with you and the HR Director to establish your learning
needs and ensure that you have the training and resources you need.
We would like you to have a commitment to your own professional development and
actively seek learning opportunities. Bytemark will pay for 5 days of conference or training
(including expenses) each year to pique your interest and pick up new skills.
Skills we're seeking
• Programming Ruby or a similar dynamic language (Python, Perl, etc.)
• Working with a database-backed full-stack web framework: Rails or similar
• Ability to diagnose application performance bottlenecks, e.g. code inefficiencies,
slow database queries
• Ability to work with staff and customers to reach satisfactory conclusions for issues
reported on our software
• Approachable, friendly, and tactful
• Some experience of Go or traditional systems languages - Java, C, C++ would also be
• Knowledge of continuous integration and automated deployment
• Knowledge and experience using GNU/Linux
• Any experience of Puppet, Ansible or other configuration management
This position will be centered around either our York or Manchester offices. Working
remotely may be possible if you have the right experience. Our company has been split
between York, Manchester and several fully remote workers for years, so we have various
ways of making that work.
Our whole team comes to our York HQ three times a year for a meal, catch-up and talks.
Each developer department meets up on a monthly basis for sprint planning meetings in
one of the offices.
• Standard holiday allowance: 25 days holiday + UK bank holidays
• Extra holiday allowance: 1 day per full year of employment up to 32 days
• Allowance for home broadband service
• Bytemark administered group personal Pension Scheme (current company
• Annual health cash plan & private health care
• Enhanced Maternity - 16 weeks pay + 8 weeks 50% pay
• Enhanced Paternity - 2 weeks pay + 2 weeks 50% pay
• Childcare voucher scheme
• 5 days per year allowance for training purposes
• Company-provided bicycle for employees within cycling distance
Our policies and benefits enable every staff member to balance both family and work
commitments, without sacrificing individual ambition or professional development.
Before you apply
Please understand these points before applying:
• You must already be eligible to work in the UK
• We will request and review references from successful candidates
• We would ask successful candidates to complete a Basic Disclosure Scotland check
(which will be reimbursed)
What are you waiting for?!
There's no "cultural fit" requirement. If you're product focused, up for a challenge and can
work well within a team, we'd love to have you on-board!