IT&S Technical Analyst
||The Francis Crick Institute
||The Francis Crick Institute, Midland Road, London
||£25,000 - £25,000
||From 25,000 per annum, subject to skills and experience
To support the IT needs of individuals and their lab work, an extensive set of desktop and laptop computers (devices) is in use at the Crick. The majority of devices are Windows and Mac systems. To help keep devices up-to-date and to provide them with the latest software, IT&S use a range of software tools. These tools support automated and/or remote management of devices. This automated/remote management approach allows an efficient and effective operation by the modest number of IT&S Helpdesk staff.
Periodically, there is a need to undertake work on the device directly. This is time-consuming and resource intensive as it requires a scheduled visit. Due to the mix of hardware and software running on the Crick estate and the legacy of the long multi-site phase, the Crick is in a position where there is a need to carry out a significant volume of this type of work. This volume of effort is beyond the capacity of the in-house Helpdesk and End User Computing team to absorb.
There are two main purposes of this project:
• to upgrade each end-user device to its optimal state (latest versions of Microsoft Office and OS)
• to ensure Crick asset tagging and consistent device naming.
Specific objectives will include working to a rollout plan and will primarily consist of:
• Deploying Office 2016 to all Windows and Apple desktops and laptops at the Crick
• Ensuring that all applicable operating system patches are applied on both Windows and Mac computers
• Ensuring that all end user devices conform to a build standard and are correctly named and registered in inventory systems and in Active Directory
• Ensuring that all end user devices are fully compliant with anti-virus and backup software correctly installed and operating
• Working between 9am - 5pm Mon - Fri in the IT&S End User Compute team,
• Ensuring that any BAU technical issues and queries are reported to the Helpdesk.
Key experience and competencies
The post holder should embody and demonstrate our core Crick values: bold, imaginative, open, dynamic and collegial, in addition to the following:
• Previous experience in an IT helpdesk environment is advantageous.
• A proven track record of delivering high quality customer service.
• A demonstrable ability to prioritise effectively in response to competing demands from customers.
• A demonstrable ability to "put yourself” in the place of customers and ensure that the service provided is meeting their needs.
• A "can do” approach to responding to customer queries.
• A self-starter who is able to work unsupervised.
• Working knowledge of ITIL best practice for IT support.
• Good standard of general education, including grade C or above (or equivalent) in GCSE English and Maths.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
• Strong organisational skills and a demonstrable ability to manage own time effectively.
• Quick learner with proven ability to adapt to changing circumstances.
• Previous experience of working in science or medical research environments an advantage.
• Applicants must be entitled to work in the UK and must be security screened.
• Previous experience of using call-logging or job-tracking systems for IT service requests and Incident Management. Previous experience of using ServiceNow an advantage.
• Demonstrable experience of supporting Apple computers running Mac OS X and Windows computers running Windows 7 and 10.
• Previous experience of troubleshooting both Mac and Windows applications, particularly Microsoft Office 365, Adobe Creative Suite, Virtual Applications, Database connections, Data recovery and OS Patching.
• Previous experience with using remote software deployment tools, Casper essential.
• Previous experience of maintaining and troubleshooting IT desktop hardware and software in a networked environment.
• Previous experience of MS Exchange, Active Directory administration and SharePoint and first line troubleshooting.
• Experience buiding and supporting a mixed Linux environment would be an advantage.
• Experience with deployments, hardware refreshes and desk moves.
• Experience of supporting Scientific Equipment an advantage.