Software Development Manager - Profile Services
5th April 2018
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
About The Tesco Technology Profile Services Team
The Profile Service was one of the first "Enterprise Services" to be created when Tesco began its transition to Service Oriented Architecture. Over recent years our scope and focus has shifted from being an aggregator of customer details across the online and instore data realms to becoming the single source of truth for core profile attributes for customers, colleagues and suppliers to drive real-time personalisation of user journeys, analytics and insights.
We take the safety and privacy of personal information very seriously and see ourselves as guardians of this data, working to ensure appropriate use throughout the Tesco ecosystem.
As part of a core API platform critical in delivering higher value to shoppers we need to ensure our services are highly available and performant. To do so we build event-driven and Restful services utilising a wide range of technologies including:
* Java, Vert.X, RxJava, Spring, Groovy, Scala, Akka/Lagom;
* Amazon Web Services, Kubernetes, Docker, Linux;
* Apache Cassandra, Apache Kafka, Oracle, SQL Server;
* Jenkins, Ansible, Terraform, Git;
* Splunk, AppDynamics.
We have responsibility for every component we build throughout its entire life cycle. We practice continuous integration and deploy, operate, and support our code in production.
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
* An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary
* Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
* Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day
* A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
* Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
* Buy As You Earn Scheme
* Save As You Earn Scheme
* Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
* Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses
The Role - Software Development Manager
As a Software Development Manager within Profile your primary responsibility is to build and maintain passionate, engaged and effective development teams. You do this through taking a deep interest in the people that report to you by making sure they are happy, motivated and challenged in what they are doing. You devolve decision-making and provide the team with the psychological safety to move fast. You guide them to reach pragmatic technical solutions and keep yourself close to the code without becoming a blocker. You take ownership when things go wrong but celebrate success collectively. In short, you act as a multiplier of your team's effectiveness
Specifically, you will:
* Foster the careers of the engineers reporting into you by finding opportunities for growth, coaching, addressing concerns and if necessary, implementing performance management.
* Grow the capability of Tesco Technology as a whole by becoming involved in our engineering hiring and being passionate about building high performing and diverse teams.
* Work closely with Product Management to identify and minimise risk within an outcome and help prioritise and evolve a workable technical solution ready for delivery.
* Represent Profile within wider technical discussions across different stakeholder groups and be effective in doing so by constantly broadening your understanding of the technology landscape.
* Take ownership for the delivery of specific outcomes, or work across wider groups in conjunction with programme management to deliver more significant outcomes. Drive us to constantly improve quality.
* Take ownership of non-functional outcomes within Profile including focus on performance, availability, reliability and security.
* Continually look for how we can evolve and improve our technology, processes and practices.
* Participate in the on-call rota to support our systems in production.
Experience relevant for this job:
* Previous experience with management of software engineering teams of around 4-8 people in size.
* Hands-on experience in development of Restful API services and distributed systems that work at scale.
Skills relevant for the job
* A high degree of emotional intelligence. You are aware of your own emotions, how you appear and can self-reflect on your actions. You can empathise with others and modify your behaviour and style accordingly.
* Problem solving, analysis and computational skills. You are comfortable designing systems and reasoning about them. When tackling problems, you take a thorough and logical approach to solving them and you retain ownership through to resolution.
* Customer focus. You can find the right balance between outcome delivery and technical excellence. You place the needs of our customers above the needs of you and the team.
* Written and verbal communication skills. You can communicate effectively and efficiently taking into account the nature of your audience.
To find out more and to apply, please click the APPLY button.